Thursday, February 18, 2010

ACEO! ACEO! ACEO!

I discovered the wide world of art trading cards, little pieces of art.

Just My Size:
I was bopping about the wilds of Etsy and came across This little guy by DeadPanAlley. At first I thought to myself that it was a cute little painting, but I realized that I never really investigated the term ACEO (Art Cards, editions and originals) which are the bought and sold versions of artist trading cards (rather than the traded between artist versions). The more I thought about it, the more I enjoyed the idea of tiny little works. I very often like to work in tiny, so I finally found myself a piece of paper to cut up and tried my hand using my usual medium, pen and ink.




You can see my lovely pictures taken on top of the ancient laptop I am using. The first attempt featuring Squidbot and a jellyfish is a bit disjointed... I didn't really have a plan going in.

The second attempt entitled "What's this doing here?!" is for a friend's birthday and is a much more solid work.

The third piece called "Don't Sink Your Boat," after the Flogging Molly song (not usually a big fan, but I love this song) is a little rough on the left, but is overall what I imagined.

Finally, the last piece, and my favorite is called "My Heart Sinks Like a Stone..." after the line in the Airborn Toxic Event song ("and my heart sinks like a stone, a stone, a stone"). I've envisioned this picture just about every time I've listened to the song, but never had the courage or fortitude to draw it. That's why these little art cards are so awesome. I don't have to commit to a whole piece and have it go south after hours of work, and yet it is still a valid piece of art. Having done these smaller versions successfully, I might go on to make some bigger ones, but for the moment, I'm having fun making little guys :D






In Other News:
My car insurance wasn't as messed up as I thought it was Yay! I didn't have to drive to Capitola. Instead, I got sick! Very sick. I had a fever and a swollen throat and aching ears. I feel better now, though still crappy XP

In Still Other News, From the TV:

Mens short program in figure skating was pretty cool. There were still a lot of tumbles, but I felt that they were less numerous than in pairs and more often because someone was trying to be too tricky. One of the issues I have with how skating is judged is the point system which puts an over emphasis on doing tricks instead of doing everything. In the pairs, it felt like if the skaters did enough tricks, they could still flub a great deal and get high placings. I think the men's competition is a little more balanced, but still skewed with the second place skater, America's Lysacek, barely behind the Russian skater, Plushenko. Plushenko did a quad jump. Lysacek didn't, but outskated Plushenko in all other aspects... is a quad really worth that much?

I'd also like to make mention of Johnny Weir. A bit of an odd duck to be sure, but an awesome skater. He has the habit of not starting his jumps how the judges think skaters should, so he's only in sixth (is it really that important?) despite a very well done routine. I think he deserves higher standing. I also enjoyed the two Japanese skaters, especially the younger one, Oda, and the Swiss skater, Lambiel, who did an awesome version of the William Tell Overture (classic XD). Unfortunately he missed some of his jumps, so he's probably not going to medal XP

In other news Lindsey Vonn kicked ass in women's downhill. She impressed me by crossing the finish line basically on one ski. She had injured herself previously and apparently had a great deal of pain though she still won gold. Nice.

Finally, I watched Shaun White on the halfpipe for the first time today. My goodness that man can fly. Those people are crazy @.@

No comments:

Post a Comment